Thursday, December 3, 2009

December Update: Funemployment


This blog has been dormant and slow to start,  but it just so happened that about two weeks after the birth of In A Spot, I was laid-off and found myself in quite the spot.  As I looked for jobs, I quickly realized prospects were dim and not improving.  It was time to move in the direction of self-employment, and so real life took precedent over the blog.

The storm has calmed down a bit thankfully, and I have been able to reflect on the direction I would like to head.  After much thought I turned to the blog, which represents my core values, and decided that pointing my professional life in a similar direction would be a smart move.  The basic principals: thoughtful appropriate design, care for handmade goods, and the desire to help as many people as possible will still remain pinnacle as I move forward.

Fate seemed to be in place as I received two small repurposing jobs within a couple weeks of being laid-off, and most recently an addition for an expanding family here in Seattle, more on these later.  These few projects combined with an abundance of free time, I found myself developing a more solid plan, and getting real.  This means, acquiring a workshop space and equipping it from scratch, allotting myself the funds to do so, developing a business strategy, and most of all making myself known.  All these things are completely new endeavors for me, with the exception of knowing what equipment I’ll need, a minor detail among the list.

This time off has allowed be to reevaluate In A Spot, more specifically, its ability to support a career while still providing visitors (hopefully followers) with the innovative solutions they are looking for.  This is where a slight tweak in the blog’s trajectory comes in; I would like to open up the possibility for commissions via the blog, to which I welcome any and all projects you may have.  None are too small or complex; the challenge is the fuel I run on.


ps.  the graphic is hand-drafted with pencil on strathmore, scanned and then colored in photoshop.

2 comments:

  1. how about a baby crib??

    ReplyDelete
  2. A crib is definitely possible... I'm brainstorming as I write this.

    ReplyDelete